Shuman, McCuskey & Slicer, PLLC is pleased to provide the following legal resources. With offices in Charlestown and Morgantown, we assist clients throughout West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky in business law, banking, and defense matters involving the gas and coal industry, insurance, personal injury, and employment matters. To arrange a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys, please contact us today or call us toll-free at 877-808-1402.
West Virginia Legal Resources
- Official Website for the State of West Virginia
- West Virginia Judicial System
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- West Virginia State Bar
- West Virginia Attorney General
- West Virginia Code
- West Virginia Secretary of State and its Business Division
Virginia Legal Resources
- Virginia Courts
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court, Western District of Virginia
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Government
- Virginia Office of the Attorney General
- Code of Virginia
- Virginia Secretary of the Commonwealth
- Commonwealth of Virginia State Corporations Commission
Ohio Legal Resources
- Ohio Judicial System
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio State Website
- Ohio Revised Code
- Ohio Secretary of State
- Ohio Attorney General
Kentucky Legal Resources
- Kentucky Courts
- Kentucky Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- United States District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Kentucky Government
- Kentucky Revised Statutes
- Kentucky Office of the Attorney General
- Kentucky Secretary of State
- West Virginia Offices of the Insurance Commissioner
- Virginia Bureau of Insurance
- Ohio Department of Insurance
- Kentucky Department of Insurance
- The Insurance Research Council (IRC) is an independent, nonprofit research organization supported by leading property and casualty insurance companies and associations. It is dedicated solely to researching and educating insurance companies, as well as the public, about issues that affect insurance policy.
Workers' Compensation Defense Resources
- West Virginia Workers' Compensation information from the Department of Insurance.
- The Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission provides a guide for employers.
- The Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation also provides a wealth of information for employers.
- Kentucky Department of Workers' Claims
- The United States Department of Labor provides information about the federal laws that apply to employers regarding workplace safety, wage and hour issues, discrimination, and unemployment.
Employment Defense Resources
- WorkForce West Virginia, the West Virginia Department of Labor, and the West Virginia Government website all provide information for employers regarding wage and hour requirements, workplace safety, and the laws and regulations that affect them.
- The Virginia Employment Commission employer portal provides information regarding employment tax issues and the Work Opportunity Tax Credit, unemployment insurance, reporting requirements, and migrant seasonal farmers.
- The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services has an entire website devoted to employer information, including training, safety, ADA compliance, foreign labor, and tax credits. Rapid Response provides additional information for Ohio employers.
- The Kentucky Office of Employment and Training is responsible for the administration of a number of programs and services designed to assist employers in a variety of employment-related areas.
- The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is the federal agency responsible for enforcing federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee.
Gas, Coal, & Natural Defense Resources
- The West Virginia Coal Association is a trade association representing more than 90 percent of the state's underground and surface coalmine production.
- The West Virginia Office of Miners' Health Safety and Training provides information regarding laws and regulations affecting mine safety in the state, statistical data, and answers to frequently asked questions.
- The Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals, and Energy provides information regarding permitting, laws and regulations, safety, and training and certification.
- Kentucky Coal is the state's trade organization that aims to deal with the complex issues facing members of Kentucky's coal industry.
- The Ohio Coal Association is a trade association dedicated to representing Ohio’s coal industry. It is committed to advancing the development and utilization of Ohio coal as an abundant, economic, and environmentally sound energy source.
- The United States Department of Labor Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) provides information for members of the mining industry about regulatory compliance, education and training, and information regarding contesting safety violation citations.
- The Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement is a bureau within the United States Department of the Interior that aims to balance the nation's need for continued domestic coal production with protection of the environment.
- The National Mining Association is the national trade organization that represents the interests of mining before Congress, the Administration, federal agencies, the judiciary, and the media.