Employment Law Defense
The attorneys at the Charleston and Morgantown law offices of Shuman, McCuskey & Slicer, PLLC provide employers large and small with effective legal representation in employment law cases in state and federal courts throughout West Virginia and in many of the state and federal courts of Virginia, Kentucky, and Ohio as well.
The firm's employment law clients include insurance companies, hospitals, public entities, natural gas and coal mining companies, financial institutions, and large and small businesses. Our lawyers represent and advise clients regarding a full range of employment law issues, including:
- West Virginia Human Rights Act
- Deliberate intent (Mandolidis) claims
- Wrongful discharge
- Sexual harassment
- Hostile work environment
- Civil rights claims (Section 1983 litigation)
- Age discrimination (ADEA)
- Sex discrimination, including pregnancy discrimination and equal pay issues
- Racial discrimination (Title VII)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Wage and hour
- Employment contract and executive compensation disputes
- Grievance procedures
- Unfair labor practices arbitrations
- Workers' compensation defense
- Proceedings before the West Virginia Human Rights Commission
Our firm has a strong record of success with employment-related disputes, much of which can be traced directly to the fact that all of our members have actual trial experience in employment law concerns. As such, we are able to work closely with each client and develop aggressive and effective defense strategies against claims of discrimination, sexual harassment, or wrongful termination at both the trial and appellate levels.
The attorneys at Shuman, McCuskey & Slicer, PLLC provide all types of employers with on-site seminars regarding company policies, best practices, and current legal news. We also offer risk management consulting services such as the drafting or reviewing of employee handbooks, the review of anti-discrimination and sexual harassment policies, and employee education and training.