Bank Operations & Lender Liability Defense
At Shuman, McCuskey & Slicer, PLLC, our business attorneys represent banks, savings and loan associations, credit card companies, thrifts, loan servicers, brokers, mortgage lenders, other financial institutions and attorneys in a wide variety of lending, banking, mortgage banking, and real property matters. Our lawyers have defended clients in both state and federal courts in West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, and Ohio, at both the trial and appellate levels. Representative actions and bank operations defense services include the following:
- Loan Origination Claims (claimed violations of Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), West Virginia Consumer Credit and Protection Act (WVCCPA), Predatory Lending laws, etc.)
- Loan Servicing Claims (claimed violations of state and federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Acts (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), etc.)
- Wrongful Foreclosures Claims (claimed violations of judicial and non-judicial foreclosure laws, etc.)
- Adversarial proceedings before the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts in which the validity of real estate loans are challenged on the basis of fraud, forgery, and undue influence
- Counseling of bank operations and lenders regarding documentation and loan enforcement issues to minimize the risk of exposure to lender liability
Our knowledge of this highly-regulated industry and the myriad of complex legislation that governs it enables us to employ aggressive and effective bank operations defense strategies at both the trial and appellate levels. To assist us in achieving excellent results for our clients, we work closely with financial consultants and highly-qualified expert witnesses to develop the strongest case before entering into any settlement discussions or courtroom proceedings.