Lou Ann S. Cyrus
Lou Ann S. Cyrus joined the firm in June 1998 and became a member in January 2002. Ms. Cyrus's practice is concentrated in general insurance defense, and includes insurance coverage, medical negligence, tort defense litigation, commercial general liability, and professional negligence (including attorney negligence and accounting negligence). She has also developed a practice in farm litigation (including equine law), cemetery and funeral home law, and manufactured housing law.
Ms. Cyrus has more than 15 years experience in handling insurance defense cases at both the trial and appellate levels. She frequently counsels insurance claims adjusters about how to evaluate and handle claims prior to litigation, and has successfully defended auto negligence cases throughout West Virginia. Ms. Cyrus has also served as a lecturer for insurance claims personnel on issues involved in the claims handling process, including compliance with the Unfair Claims Practices Act.
Ms. Cyrus has two sons and two stepsons and is married to Dwayne Cyrus, who is also a member of the firm.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Keefer v. Ferrell, 655 S.E.2d 94 (W.Va., 2007)
- Withrow v. Williams, 216 W.Va 385, 607 S.E. 2d 491 ( 2004)
- Stevens v. West Virginia Institute of Technology, 207 W.Va. 370, 532 S.E.2d 639 (1999)
- Murray v. State Farm Fire and Cas. Co., 203 W.Va. 477, 509 S.E.2d 1 (1998)
- McCormick v. West Virginia Dept. of Public Safety, Div. of Corrections, 202 W. Va. 189, 503 S.E. 2d 502 (1998)
- Jeffrey v. West Virginia Dept. of Public Safety, Div. of Corrections, 198 W. Va. 609, 482 S.E.2d 226 (1996)
- "Managing Communications to Avoid Bad Faith," ANPAC 2005 SIU/MIST/LITIGATION 9th Annual Training Conference, Springfield, MO June 9-10, 2005
- "The Economic Expert in Litigation," ANPAC 2004 SIU/MIST/LITIGATION 8th Annual Training Conference, Springfield, MO, June 10-11, 2004
- "Experts: Hiring, Deposing, Cross-Examining," ANPAC 2003 SIU/MIST/LITIGATION Annual Training Conference, Springfield, MO, June 5-6, 2003
- Special Education Workshop "Conducting Legally Defensible I.E.P. Meetings, Providing Testimony, and Witnessing," RESA-V Meeting, Parkersburg, WV, March 5, 2001
- Special Education Workshop "Conducting Legally Defensible I.E.P. Meetings, Providing Testimony, and Witnessing," RESA-IV Meeting, Charleston, WV, December 9, 1999